Thursday, January 17, 2008

I'll still be a year older...might as well be better

I have finally learned not to say "what's the use?" and to stop mourning how late in life I am getting started on doing things which I wanted when I was younger...which my husband's death interrupted...which "life" pushed me away from.

It doesn't matter where I am in life in age, if I push against the tide of ease and work to improve myself, next year at this time I will be more satisfied with the state of my affairs than I would if I just bumped along going where the wind blows.

This is kind of a stream of consciousness but important to me because I need to "dream" about improvement again in the upcoming year. This is a reflection on last year and a precursor to writing up a fabulous dream about next year.

2007 came and went with good progress. I am uh "stoked" friends! I am empowered by my ability to change. Middle age has hit and I am more energetic and optimistic than I have been in my entire life. I can do this!

25 more pounds off by May:
I set a goal to lose a total of 70 pounds in 2007. I am almost there. I have about 25 more to lose. May is the magic month to finish that up. There's a party I want to look good for so that's the dream I will harness to get me there.

Get rid of the storage unit:
I have a goal to discontinue having a storage unit this year and pocket that $50 a month. Will do. Let's say I will finish that task by May. Started the action list on that yesterday.

Improved Salary and Business Reputation:
-Once I reach my weight goals I want to re-do my wardrobe to become more polished and business-like. Yesterday I bought a great pin-stripe suit on clearance for a total of $36.00 (!) which will take me into the spring along with another navy blue and green suit I purchased to take on the cruise which will do likewise. I will get out my sewing machine and take up the slacks of both as they get too large. I expect that to happen by late February. (Now that I am closer to my goal, sizes decrease faster!)

-Another goal I had was to never arrive at work later than 30 minutes before the day started. Such effort and attitude garnered me $7,000 in bonuses last year. Seriously. The man who hired me in September of '06 (when I was at 206 and in 18Ws/20Ws) sees a middle-aged employee who may be a little bit slow on the uptake but who will work all the extra hours necessary to get the job done. I was ill on the clock exactly 2.5 hours. I missed three days when my daddy died, but it's likely that my extra arrival times gave back my employer every missed hour plus some over the past year. My weight loss has also proven that I am a "can do" person who can achieve goals and make changes for improvement.

More friends:
Another goal was to become active in a church. Check, done. I go to church every Sunday including Sunday School where I have made good friends and have a wonderful support system. My son will be taking a job with Exxon when he finishes his grad degree. I have no family in this area and only lived here in this town to get him through college. He is leaving. I'm staying.

More gratitude in my attitude:
Another goal was to say "thank you" to the many people who have helped me become a better me. Waking up each day and thinking about who has helped me along this path gives me a great outlook. It's humbling...it's inspiring.

I will take these goals, improve the focus of them and add a few to my list.

Gotta hit that hot shower right now. Can't be late to work!

Love and gratitude from Willa in Texas to every person who pauses to read this blog!

1 comment:

OhYeahBabe said...

That's a great list, Willa! I have no doubt you'll achieve them all.