Saturday, October 20, 2007

I hope it doesn't take me forty years...

Recently I've been spending time reviewing what the Bible says about the Holy Spirit starting in the Old Testament. I will share with you my thoughts on how that's become an inspiration to me with my own struggle with messiness and clutter.

(Context is, as I understand it, that God and Moses are on Mount Sinai and He is speaking to Moses about the construction of the Tabernacle, as well as in regard to Oholiab whom God has chosen to help Moses.)

Exodus 31:3 - "and I have filled him with the Spirit of
God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts..."

Repeated again in Exodus 31:6 - "Moreover, I have appointed Oholiab son
of Ahisamach, of the tribe of Dan, to help him. Also I have given skill to all
the craftsmen to make everything I have commanded you..."

Exodus
35:31-32 - "...and he has filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability
and knowledge in all kinds of crafts --to cut and set stones, to work in wood
and to engage in all kinds of artistic craftsmanship, to make artistic designs
for work in gold, silver and bronze.

Exodus 35:35
He has filled them
with skill to do all kinds of work as craftsmen, designers, embroiderers in
blue, purple and scarlet yarn and fine linen, and weavers -- all of them master
craftsmen and designers.

So, the Bible tells us that these people were transformed into artisans in order to fulfill God's plan. I get a mental image of all these worn out, gripey people, feet hurting, no place to take a bath... wandering around in the desert, certainly not wanting to concentrate on anything except getting the heck out of there and God says, "Hey, Moses...I have a little project for your group."

How despondent and depressed that must have made Moses! These people had been making bricks from straw and mud for years. That was the extent of their talent...at this point they were really down and out; their circumstances were precarious at best...and now this?

As usual...God's response was:

"I will supply every bit of skill you need. Before we even get started you guys are going to be transformed into fine designers, master craftsmen and people of very fine taste.

My Spirit is FILLING YOU with every necessary talent. When I want a job done...all you need to do is show up. I'll take care of the rest."

As a struggling to recover cluttery-messy person, it seems almost hopeless that I'll ever reach a place outside of our personal deserts of chaotic crap where my space and stuff is under control...well...it does if I view it with human understanding.

But, when I revisit the power and ability of the Holy Spirit to transform people, I have faith and I am renewed with a sense that The Holy Spirit is ready, willing, and able to transform me into a woman of order and beauty. The very evidence of that renewal is my awareness that the Holy Spirit has begun to transform me by changing my outlook into one of optimism and possibility through the work of the Holy Spirit.

If the Holy Spirit filled those guys out in the desert with craftsmanship and artistic ability right down to the blue and purple cloth details, I know He is willing and able to fill me with all I need to have order, peace and beauty in my life.

All I need to do is to show up and be there welcoming the Holy Spirit's indwelling in me. He will take it from there.
--------------

I have now lost about 44 pounds. I give the credit for my transformation (and continued transformation with weight loss) to my faith in God and His desire and willingness to see me happy, healthy and full of a sense of personal accomplishment. No doubt the Holy Spirit has been with me without me really putting much of a priority on encouraging that relationship during this time. Now that I have my head on straight about drawing closer to our Lord's Holy Spirit, I look forward to the blessings of wisdom, peace and health far greater than before.

No comments: